Thursday, December 18, 2008

SELECTIVE HEARING

I thought of this today while I was driving. Things can be extremely noisy at not only the holidays but at other times. I was the mother of four boys and I certainly can verify that the noise level can increase during a round of video competition or even an outdoor sport. I attended a NASCAR race once and again the noise from the cars racing was loud, no more like a roaring tornado.

So, what does this have to do with selective hearing. I can choose to turn my hearing aids off and block out the sound IF I want to. [And no I don't mean to do this while driving.]

If things get too noisy or you are trying to take a nap and the noise bothers you, remove the aid or turn it off. If you are around kids you know that they still have to be within your vision. I used this technique once when my boys were just being boys. My father-in-law asked me if the noise bothered me and as soon as he asked the question he knew the answer. He laughed and knew that this time I had an advantage over him. He couldn't tune out the noise.

(And yes, I would rather be like my father-in-law and have perfect hearing but since living with a hearing loss is something I deal with daily, I kind of like this selective hearing.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This beautiful and informative article, thank you very much. Use this page to your friend told you. I am constantly followed. buy hearing aids fremont ca

Unknown said...

Congratulations on finding a perfect way to live with it! You can notice more advantages along the way. We definitely have different experiences every day. Are you still practicing selective hearing?

Rebecca Kavel

Unknown said...

That’s the advantage of having a hearing aid: you can choose what sound you just want to hear. You can choose to be at a very quiet state any time you want. You can learn lots of new things to help you hear better. It’s going to be a journey of enlightenment. The only way we can appreciate life is if we take a hold of the good and live with the bad – because life is never perfect. And I can see that you’re doing that! Good job, Loretta!


Serena Outland