Wednesday, October 22, 2008

PHONE CALLS

Answering the telephone can be a challenge for us who have trouble hearing. In order to hear clearly from your end of the line find a phone that is hearing aid compatible. It may take some time to find one but with today's technology and digital phones it is a lot easier.

Listening to the person talking on the other end of the line can also be somewhat challenging. If the person has a clear voice it is not a problem. But the one thing that is frustrating is the soft spoken person who leaves a message. They don't realize that I can't understand what they are saying. In some cases I have had my husband (who doesn't have a hearing problem)listen to the message and he can't make any sense of it either. In that case, we just shake our heads and feel that if it is important they will have to call back.

I keep the volume control on the phone at its highest level. That gives me one additional advantage. When I am personally talking to someone and I am having problems hearing, I identify my problem and ask them to speak louder. Most of the time it helps; other times it just doesn't work. How I wish others would understand our problems. It isn't visible to others but to us it is a reality.

No comments: